Tuesday 13 May 2008

garden plans


Now that we have half an acre to play with, it's time to think about what the hell to do with it. Of course there will be the obligatory vegetable patch, but how big? There needs to be room for the septic tank and soakaway, but other than the lids etc, thats a lot of ground.
I want to put an area aside for a garage/workshop, but thats likely to be a few years, and as its generally flat at that bit, maybe that's the place for the veggies to start with. Maybe if I put a poly tunnel there the neighbours will think a garage will look better?. That said, I can probly do what I want under permitted development, so WHO CARES?
But mostly it will be grass, which leads to a lot of options. There is the expense consideration, and I'm tight as I've said before I'm sure. Also I've been reading re grass and lawns
Lawns as we know them are barren as far as biodiversity and creepie crawlies are concerned. So I read. So then you progress down to rye grass mixes. Rye grass being a hardier species, and we have dogs. But you get dwarf rye grass which is mixed with...erm...other wee grasses, then you get pasture mixes and stuff coos and sheep eat, which if left and cut becomes like most of the grass you see on hills and stuff.
Anyway, the long and short of the prices is this
turf = £7500 per 1/2 acre
fine lawn grass = £850 per 1/2 acre
other stuff seen on hills = £50 per acre

have you figured it out yet?

No comments: